We need volunteers every year to help make PAWCon possible, and everything starts either at this page, or our monthly public meetings. We cannot understate how important our volunteers are, so if you want to to help us out, we likely have something for you. There are multiple areas where we always need volunteers:
Convention Operations (Con Ops)
Events & Panels
Editorial (Website & Con Book)
A/V & Stage
Loading-in / Loading-out
Public Safety volunteers help ensure a comfortable and safe environment for attendees. Public Safety Volunteers walk around and keep an eye on the convention area, and are available to help. These volunteers are not expected to put themselves in harm’s way. They report anything problematic to the Head of Public Safety. You are the eyes and ears of the convention, and your presence helps convention attendees feel safe.
—Loading-in / Loading-out—
This phase occurs the day before, and the last day of the convention. Volunteers are counted as having worked two hours for each hour worked during Loading-in and Loading-out. We all want to finish these two stages as quickly as possible, so we can relax before or after the convention, move on to other obligations or responsibilities, or do whatever it is we want to do, and as a result, we can use all of the volunteers we can get.
Loading-in happens before the convention even begins. This is where we set up areas of our convention space and provide access for our Artists and Vendors to set up. The stages, lights, headless lounges, registration areas, and everything else that the convention puts together is prepared during this phase. Loading-out happens on the last day of the convention after the Dead Dog Dance has ended. This is the reverse of Loading-in, but is just as labor intensive so we can use all the help we can get.
Apply to be a Volunteer
Earn a FREE MEMBERSHIP for the following year!
(Please read Volunteer and Staffing Policies below)
Volunteer and Staffing Policies
- Normal registration fees apply for the initial year.
- Members must complete a minimum of 8 hours during the con to be eligible for volunteer benefits.
- Staff are designated by being leads, supervisors and by taking active part in staff planning. All other positions will be considered volunteer.
- All members MUST sign in and sign out each shift at Con Ops. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of those hours worked.
- Hours worked for loading-in or loading-out count as double time (i.e. 2 hours worked = 4 hours).
- Free membership is valid for a regular attendance level in the following year.